My dad said that vegetarian burgers taste awful – but I beg to differ. Most vegetarian recipes call for black beans, but I don’t really like black beans that much – I can eat them, of course, but I wouldn’t have them on a regular basis – and so my mother and I decided to make our own.
Disclaimer: This may have been done by someone else already, but we made this recipe on our own without the help of another.
Yields: 7-8 medium burger patties, but of course it depends on you
Prep time: at least 30 minutes
The things you will need:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ a cup of flour (you can modify this to your liking)
- One egg (or any tasteless substitute that can hold your mixture together)
- One onion
- One bell pepper
- One carrot
- 1 ½ cups of baby corn, diced
- One tablespoon of oil (plus some more to fry)
Now, let’s begin!
- Start with dicing/shredding your vegetables. We diced our onion, baby corn and bell pepper, and shredded our carrot. This just helped the mixture to stick together easily with the help of an egg (or an egg substitute) and to also prevent those big chunks of veggies (unless you like that).
- Put the diced and shredded vegetables into a mixing bowl along with your egg, tablespoon of oil, flour, and salt and pepper until it is evenly combined. It should look a little something like this.
- Squish the patties into the preferred size and shape. The thing about these is that they don’t shrink nor do they expand, they remain the same size as you molded them into. So just do whatever shape and-or size you want. If you make them thick they may take longer to fry, and if they’re thin then they may take a minute or two. This is the size we made (obviously it’s already cooked).
- Put some oil on your pan and place your patty. Ours took 3 minutes to cook, so a minute and a half on each side.
- Place your patty on your buns and add any condiment that you want, and enjoy!
I hope you liked this recipe and be sure to tell me how they taste if you did make them! Thank you!